Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lake District

As the days are ticking down we tried to pick our last few places to visit. We wanted to pick a stunning place because we realized we are actually very sad to leave England. We settled on the Lake District. The Lake District has majestic mountains and shiny lakes. First we wanted to visit a town right by the sea, so we chose Barrow-Furness. We went to the docks and looked at ships and seagulls. I saw Navy ships and I found out that they make submarines in Barrow as well. I saw a few jelly fish too! I also learned Emlyn Hughs was born in Barrow-Furness. He used to be the captain of the England national team and also Liverpool FC. That made me want to play footy, so we did that. We also played footy tennis, badminton, golf, and the best part was hiking. We did so much in the Lake District. We drove way up into the mountains and stopped at a place called Elterwater village for the hiking. We saw lots of sheep and I even saw a few lambs practicing head-butting each other. They were so cute. We walked parallel to a small stream. The stream got bigger and faster and then there was a small waterfall! It was small, but powerful. The sound was exactly like the ones you use to fall asleep. I loved it. We walked a little more and we saw another waterfall. This one was 42 feet tall! It was called the Colwith waterfall. We had to start heading back to Harlaxton, but I would go back to the Lake District in a heartbeat. On the way home (to Harlaxton) we stopped in a quaint town called Windermere. The town had a main road with lots of small shops. All of the shops had their own charm. The town sat on a huge body of water. The day was fantastic.

3 comments:

  1. That waterfall is beautiful. Were the lambs horns big, small, or no horns at all? I cannot wait for you to get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too. Waterfalls are amazing. The sounds and the babbling brooks around it were great. The lambs had no horns at all, but we did see some sheep with the curling horns. I have a photo of some and even video, so I'll have to show you when I get back. We're going to have fun catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brock, it's Sharon, Cameron Hataway's mum. I'm very excited you guys got to go to the Lakes District. I myself will be there on May 12th for my sister's wedding. She is getting married on Lake Windermere and we are staying in Ambleside. I'm looking forward to doing some hiking there too. Glad you had fun. Can't wait to hear more about your travels when you return. I'm very happy you have enjoyed living in my homeland!

    ReplyDelete