Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Paris

Our family friends, the Lothamers, and my family went to Paris, France. Paris is an amazing city known for its art and food. I was so excited. I had been to Paris before, so I knew how excited I should be. Our first destination was the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower was made for the 1889 World’s Fair. The Eiffel Tower looks like the ultimate skeleton building. Other than a few spots you can see through the whole Tower. The whole Tower stands over 1,000 feet tall! We walked around and then headed to the Arc de Triomphe. It is a huge arch and is located on the Place Charles de Gaulle on the western end of the Champs-Élysées. The arch is in honor of the people who fought for France during the Napoleonic Wars. The next day we headed to the Louvre. The Louvre is a huge museum. It holds many famous paintings including the Mona Lisa. It was so cool to see. Then we went to Notre Dame. It is a huge church. Inside we lit a candle for my grandpa. It was sad, but then again happy because mom asked us each to whisper a happy memory about Papa. It made me feel good. You might have heard of Notre Dame because it is the setting for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a book that Victor Hugo wrote (the guy who also wrote Les Miserables). After Notre Dame we ate lunch outside at a nice restaurant. That night we went back to the Eiffel Tower. We got to go up it. We had to take multiple elevators to get to the top. You could see for miles. At night the Eiffel Tower lights up.

6 comments:

  1. In the picture it looks like a big needle that is lit up. You really got to see the Mona Lisa? I bet Mrs. Besing is would be really jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Mrs. Besing would be jealous. The Mona Lisa is not as big as you would think. It is amazing and it's fun to try and decide what she's thinking. I always think she's smirking like she was just told a joke. Walking into the room with the painting is hilarious because there is this huge crowd around the small Mona Lisa, and there is nobody on the opposite side of the room where there is a humongous painting at least 50 times the size of the Mona Lisa.

      Delete
  2. Brock,

    I just love Notre Dame. It is such a beautiful church and has special meaning to us since we are Catholic. I'm glad it made you feel good to light a candle for your grandpa. It always gives me strength and comfort when we light a candle in our church. Your Papa is with Justin's Grandpa, and they are smiling and watching over all of us...He is certainly still with you.

    Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brock,

    Just wanted to let you know I played in my last Castle Feeder basketball tournament this last weekend. We won 1st place!! It was a lots of fun! Now it is on to baseball. I will still be playing pitching machine. Practice starts soon, and games start in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the tournament! Did you score any points?

      Delete
    2. Thanks! We played 6 games over the weekend. It was my best tournament yet. One of the starters couldn't be there, so I got to start each game! I scored about 10 points each game.

      Delete