Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hogmanay Torches and Happy New Year

It’s Hogmanay, the name for Scotland’s huge New Year celebration. People kick it off by going out on the street and buying torches. The torches start with no flame. People start on the Royal Mile, a huge street in Scotland, and they walk all the way up to Calton Hill. Calton Hill has an Athens like temple at the top. At the very front of the line of people one torch is lit. Then that person lets other people put their torches up to the person with flamed torch and slowly but surely the flame spreads. The news said there were almost 30,000 people at the event and 6,500 people holding torches. We were right in the middle of the party! It was so amazing that I will never forget it. Here is a little video. Hope your new year goes great!

4 comments:

  1. Brock, Excellent report and video of the Hogmanay Torches. You are giving me a history lesson. Happy New Year. I love you, PaPa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not safe to put fire close to the camera like that.xp

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had some friends over to celebrate. Sam Shrode was here..we had noisemakers but no torches or fireworks! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing all of you guys, I'm not surprised you had a good party on New Years! I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I travel so I can share with you.

    ReplyDelete