Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Salisbury Crags

I got to go to the Salisbury Crags on January 1, 2012. I mentioned this place a few posts ago and after seeing the Crags I thought I needed to write more. The Salisbury Crags are an area in the bigger volcano Arthur’s Seat. The Crags are so cragie (not a real word) because about 340 million years ago there used to be a sea there. It later froze into a glacier and the glacier made it rough. Some of the Crags tallest peaks are over 150 feet tall. Most of the rocks that form the rugged cliffs are igneous. From the view we could see almost every view of Edinburgh. Across Edinburgh we could see the Scotland National Monument, a building based after the Parthenon. The Parthenon if you did not already know is a temple in Greece. The photo attached to this is from where we were standing on the Crags. The Greek-like structure is the Parthenon replica. Behind it is the North Sea. These looked farther away when we were standing on the Crags but we zoomed in with the camera. I felt like I was going to be blown off the Crags it was so windy. I had already found out Scotland was a windy place, but after standing on the Crags it was nothing in comparison. When I looked down the slope, I could see bushes growing out of the sides of the cliff. It amazed me that they could grow out of the rocks. After the Crags, we walked up and down the Royal Mile. That night we went to The Witchery to eat dinner. When I found out we got to eat there I jumped with excitement because I remember eating there in 2008 and loved it. The Witchery is a famous restaurant in Edinburgh. It sits in the shadows of Edinburgh Castle. You go down steps to get to the restaurant. I had sundried tomato bread, butternut squash soup, salmon and chocolate mousse. It was sooo good. After dinner we packed up our things and drove 4+ hours to get to Manchester, England. It was 1 a.m. when we got there so I had to say good morning and not good night!

2 comments:

  1. The crags look like a neat place to visit. Great view of Edinburgh! You guys are getting to see so many wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would like it since I know you guys like hiking. You can walk all the way to the top. It's a beautiful view but it's a steep climb.

    ReplyDelete