Friday, January 20, 2012

Sword Dancing

I got to experience sword dancing. I had just slipped into the Great Hall, where they do almost all the special things, when it started. The sword dancers would use sticks to smack against each other’s sticks. It was very fast and fun. They would spin and make crosses with their swords. There was one guy who would go around and liven it up a little bit. He would go around the crowd hitting people lightly with his stick. When he got to me he either liked me or thought it would be funny to throw me out in the middle of sword dancers because that is exactly what he did. I was very lucky this dance they were not using their sticks because I like my head just the way it is. I was told to hold on to the entertainer’s hand. When he said “go” we ran through the group of dancers. When we got to the other side he said something, but I could not understand him because of the loud music. All of a sudden he pushed me into the middle of the dancers. Then the dancers would come at me fast and then pull away again. It was very fun. At the end he brought me back to my seat. Then he gave me a little pin that said Foresters Morris Men. I later found out that was their name. They wear bells to scare bad spirits and handkerchiefs supposedly lend magic to the audience. The Foresters Morris Men are from Nottingham. That is why their logo has Robin Hood in it. By the way, Robin Hood was my code in the Nottingham post.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! You got to run through guys dancing with swords!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brock...I can just imagine you having fun at the sword dance - and
    the pin is a great keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swords were awesome. Knowing you, Sam, you probably would have grabbed one and used it as a lightsaber! And it's true the pin will be a great keepsake. I was excited to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brock that is so awesome! Looks super fun there and I love the blogs. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading the blog. I also may try to make one of those cool swords!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally see you making an awesome sword!

    ReplyDelete